Monday, September 18, 2006

Unwrap Your Candy

I think some people don’t get “reader’s theater.” I know I didn’t understand it until I was a sophomore in college. One weekend on a whim, some friends of mine and I started reading “Waiting for Godot” aloud together. I can neither confirm not deny any of the circumstances or substances that were involved leading us to take up this activity. Though I had read “Godot” in high school, I hadn’t seen a production and it wasn’t until I heard the words spoken that I realized just how hilarious (and peculiar and intriguing) a show it was. Years later, my lovely wife did a reader’s theater production of “Dancing at Lughnasa” that was downright transcendent.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that “Unwrap Your Candy” at the Firehouse tomorrow night (Tues., Sept. 19 at 7:00pm, admission $5), with its great cast including Jackie Jones, Jacquie O'Connor and Granville Scott, should be an excellent introduction to this format if you haven’t been exposed to it before. And if you have seen, or plan to see “I Am My Own Wife,” it’ll serve as a nice compliment. My former brother-in-arms Mr. Proctor is directing, adding another layer of interest to the show. If you’ve been critiqued by Roy before, go to the show and you can enjoy some time on the other side of the fence. Post YOUR review of him right here!

No comments: