Sunday, October 28, 2007

Like Buttah

I’m in recovery from a whirlwind of a weekend that started with going to “Spinning Like Butter” on Thursday night. The play was excellent. It’s one of those occasions where I’m really happy to have this blog because, after a good night’s sleep, I’d like to write out my thoughts in much greater length than I could in my review. But what really made the night special was being able to attend the show with my lovely wifester. We don’t get many date nights and to see a really intelligent, thought-provoking, nicely rendered drama and then be able to dissect it afterwards with someone who has a long-standing interest in theater, a sharp wit and an incisive intellect made a good show even better. I guess even bad theater can be made better when you’re with someone you love. But good theater is amazing!

Then it was off to Nelson County south of Charlottesville to visit with a whole gaggle of old friends. It’s really beautiful up there – just starting to get into peak “leaf-peeping” season, a little later this year I guess because the cold nights have only just started to kick in. We were right up the road from a relatively new theater, the Earl Hamner, that is currently doing a show about Edgar Allen Poe. There’s also a brand new brew-pub that just opened this past weekend called the Blue Mountain, in addition to the dozen or so wineries in the area. How’s that for a nice weekend getaway?

Until I get my thoughts together on “Butter,” below is a deeper, wiser thought to ruminate on. I’ve been trying to figure out how it fits in with my role as a critic. Haven’t quite got anywhere yet.

If you see what needs to be repaired and how to repair it, then you have found a piece of the world that God has left for you to complete. But if you can only see what is wrong and how ugly it is, then it is you yourself that needs repair.
-RABBI TZVI FREEMAN

1 comment:

Frank Creasy said...

Hey Dave - sounds like it was a good weekend to head to southwest Virginia. After attending the delightful opening night of "Spinning Into Butter, BetterHalf and I left on Friday to visit a friend in Abindgon who is on the board at the Barter Theatre, where we saw an absolutely stellar production of "Driving Miss Daisy". It was an all too rare opportunity to not only see a show, but to see a top notch professional production in Virginia outside of Richmond. A long drive, but a real treat!