Tuesday, July 25, 2006

XM Radio

Our family car has XM radio in it. If you have been turned on to satellite radio you probably agree with Melissa Ruggieri and me and exalt it as the next best thing since double-stick tape. If you still haven’t been turned on to it, here’s what might push you theater fans over the edge: XM28 – On Broadway. It’s a channel of showtunes, 24/7.

Three personal asides I should mention: I rarely am in charge of the radio in the family car (usually around 4th or 5th in line in terms of getting my choice, that is until the 2-year old gets another couple months behind him at which point I’ll drop to 5th/6th). And when I am in charge, I usually dial up the classic rock stations because, well, I’m sort of a dinosaur when it comes to musical taste. And lastly, I’ve never really been a big fan of out-of-context show tunes, mostly because I only listen to classic rock.

But every once in a while, XM28 becomes the featured favorite in the minivan, and it’s always a surprisingly pleasing and eclectic blend. This past Sunday at around 10am there seemed to be a focus on distinctly non-going-to-church selections (“Two Ladies” from Cabaret and “Let Me Entertain You” from Gypsy). Later in the day, I heard selections from two shows I’ve never seen; one peaked my interest (“Dancing Through Life” from “Wicked”), one dispelled any interest I might have had (“Never Met a Man I Didn’t Like” from Will Rogers Follies, one of the worst expansions of a pithy little phrase into a whole song I’ve ever heard). Somewhere along the way, there was a great old rendition of “Can’t Stop Lovin’ Dat Man of Mine” from Show Boat.

What’s cool is our nearly-6 year old – a budding theater fan – now wants to know what show each song is from whenever we listen to XM28. If you want to sample shows you’ve never heard or be reminded of ones you’ve loved in the past, I encourage you to dial up the XM. And I promise, I’m not getting any kickbacks for this endorsement (at least, not yet…)

No comments: