Friday, July 14, 2006

Mahalia

Seeing the review of "Mahalia" in today's Times-Dispatch made me realize that I had neither written an "official" entry on this show nor added it to the "Now Showing" section of the blog. I wrote about the show in a post a week or so ago, but nothing official. I tell you what, this blog stuff could really become an all-encompassing thing if you let it. That's one of the reasons why I stay away from MySpace.com. I hear people go there never to emerge again.

Ms. Haubenstock obviously was swept away by Ms. Armstrong's amazing voice and it sounds like Mr. Width did a great job with the production as per usual. Only a few small qualms with this review: what does 'packed with musicality' mean? and whatever it means, wouldn't you expect it from the voice of a singer? and finally, if the music was so great, how about a shout-out to the musical director, who I believe is the always wonderful Paul Deiss?

Unfortunately, I don't foresee a trip to "Mahalia" in my future, unless I can convince my boss to let a whole gang of us from work go see it as a field trip. Hmmm.... come to think of it, that just might work! One of the joys of having a truly excellent boss is that he's predisposed to go along with your reasoning about something being work-related, regardless of how far-out that reasoning is. I'll start lobbying him next week...

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to "MacBeth" tonight. Nothing like a cheerful, little comedy to brighten your mood after a long week. ):-\

No comments: