Friday, July 07, 2006

Must-see theater...

...a post, wherein I reveal my own shocking first love!

OK, just being dramatic but I have to say that receiving the Modlin Arts Center catalogue for their upcoming season has me, in the infamous words of Shprockets, as happy as a little girl. Sure, David Sedaris should be great. And gotta give a shout-out to d.l.hopkins: as the UR Artist-in-Residence next season, he's going to be doing some cool things.

But what really got my motor running was the Ionesco double-bill. Yes, it's true: I'm a sucker for a good absurdist play. Oh sure, I'll travel across the country for a production of "Les Mis," could see "Godspell" once a week for the rest of my life, and have been transfixed by Tennessee Williams' work many times. But in my heart of hearts, my most favoritest play is the most famous of all absurdist works, Beckett's "Waiting for Godot." And one of the first shows that turned me on to theater in the first place was an absolutely hilarious production of "Rhinocerous" that my high school did some 25 years ago. I've had a soft spot for Ionesco ever since and Modlin's promise of "Bald Soprano" and "The Chairs" together is already written in ink on my calendar.

I've also gotta hand it to the folks at Modlin: they are embracing all media with a vengeance. They've got a MySpace page apparently and, of course, a blog! Looks like I've got to make some room over there on the left for some more links!

Did everyone have a great Fourth of July?

No comments: