Sunday, April 13, 2008

Night of a Thousand Stars

This morning had me wondering if the T-D has finally listened to all of the suggestions I’ve sent, emailed, tied on rocks and thrown through windows, etc. It started with a little teaser right on the front page, that sent me directly to a great piece on Andrew Hamm and his ever-growing body of good work with Richmond Shakespeare. Congrats, Mr. Hamm!

In a more-prominent-than-usual place in the Metro section you’ve got Ms. Haubenstock’s spot-on review of “The Little Dog Laughed” that includes one of the most deft turns of phrase I’ve read anywhere recently, her characterization of Susan Sanford’s character as a “feral godmother.” Snap!

Then there's an article about the dreamy Laura Linney, wherein I learned that she is 44 -- just like me! -- further reinforcing my delusion that there is some cosmic connection between her and I. Finally, there's even a travel piece about the map exhibit in Baltimore, tweaking my low-grade map obsession. I probably read more of the T-D this morning than I have in months -- and I haven't even gotten to the funnies yet!

Friday night at the Barksdale was amazing not just because of the opening of “The Little Dog Laughed,” but also because of the huge phalanx of local theater notables who were in the crowd. If I had any sense of fashion, I could write up a great red carpet round-up kind of thing – “Debra Wagonner looked smashing in Givenchy while Jan Guarino was understated but elegant in Ralph Lauren, etc. etc.” – but clearly I don’t. Most heartening for me was seeing Michael Gooding in the crowd as well as other RTP board members and directors. It was a great indication of inter-theater support and good will.

There are so many aspects of “Little Dog” that can be talked about that there may be two or three more posts about the show in the coming week. In the meantime, be sure and read the recap below from my blogmate Mary -- "who was sleek and stylish as usual in Dolche and Cabana" -- or something like that...

2 comments:

Andrew Hamm said...

Thanks for the kind words, Dave.

What's funny about the article is that, after an hour-long interview, she asked me if there was anything we hadn't covered that I wanted to talk about. That's when I started talking about the local theatre scene and how much Richmond is in such larger need of great artists than New York. It was the interview's afterthought that ended up becoming the article's lead. Odd how that happened.

blogva said...

Deborah and Jan did look smashing didn't they?