Saturday, April 24, 2010

Seeing the Future

I'm only moderately embarrassed to say that I used to watch "American Idol" religiously. Only moderately because in the past there were usually several people competing that were pretty darn good. The subsequent success of people like Jennifer Hudson, Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry, etc., bares that out.

This season I DVR the show and skip through everything except Crystal Bowersox's and Soibhan Magnus's performances (and then skip the ridiculous "judging"). I watch Crystal because she is always exceptional, I watch Soibhan because she is always interesting.

I'm thinking that I should've been watching more closely, however, so I would have a better sense of the Broadway stars of tommorrow based on the number of people from "Idol" showing up there. It was announced a while back that Ace Young and Diana Digarmo were joining the cast of "Hair." Now there's video showing them in action. It kinda makes me wonder (and cringe a little, too) to think of Katie Stevens or Tim Urban or (gulp) Big Mike appearing on Broadway in a year or two.

No comments: