Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lucky

I was lucky enough to hear John Porter's review of "Fool for Love" on the radio last night. The complete text is on his blog site. I didn't realize RTP's "Facing East," originally scheduled to open this weekend, had been pushed back to February. Still plenty to see this weekend with Henley Street's "Servant of Two Masters" offering an IDR tonight and CAT's "Crimes of the Heart" opening this weekend, already having sold out their Sunday show. As Seth Rudesky would say, "Brava!"

I was also lucky to squeak into one of Barksdale's "Putnam County Spelling Bee"'s final shows last weekend. The show was a hoot but my experience was somewhat marred by a "scream laugher" sitting in the row in front of me, two seats over. Her screeching laugh in response to every hint of a joke -- starting with Debra Wagoner simply walking on stage -- occasionally drowned out the dialogue and funny lines at times and in general got on my nerves. When I have some time, I may write out some of my impressions of the actual show. It might not mean anything in the scheme of things, but it'll be a good exercise for me, should I need to actually review a show sometime in the near future.

6 comments:

debra said...

Why does weird stuff always happen when you come see a show I'm in? Do we need to burn incense, chant, or something? To break the curse or whatever?

Dave T said...

I was wondering that too, Debra! Could you hear that woman from the stage? Man, she was annoying! And what I didn't get was that, when she was onstage as a speller, she laughed normally. But offstage, she screamed. What was up with that?

Anyway, for a while there I seemed to be cursing Jacquie O'Connor -- she had some unfortunate trip on stage two productions in a row when I was there. But that curse seems to have lifted so I expect this one will as well. Alternately, I'm thinking of only going to IDRs where people generally know how to behave during a show...

debra said...

Hahaha! Yes, I could hear her. We all could. sigh.

This makes three you know.

Urinetown: loud laugher
Souvenir: well, I can't talk about it.
Spelling Bee: scream laugher

The incense and chanting idea is sounding better and better.....

philcrosby said...

Dave --

Did you miss the press release I sent about the change in "Facing East"'s dates?

Let me know if I've got the wrong e-mail address.

Jennie Dotts said...

THEATRE BENEFIT TO HONOR ROBERT WATKINS AND DEVEAUX RIDDICK
Love Scenes to be Presented at the Bolling-Haxall House, Feb. 26


25 years ago Robert Watkins and deVeaux Riddick founded the Theatre at the Bolling Haxall House to showcase the Comedy of Manners. Watkins directed and Riddick designed scenery for and frequently performed in 37 productions. They will be honored for founding the Theatre at the Bolling Haxall House and their contributions to Richmond theatre with an evening of staged readings of love scenes followed by a reception on Feb. 26 at the Bolling Haxall House, 211 E. Franklin St. Doors open at 6:30 and curtain is at 7 pm. Tickets are $20. Reservations are recommended and may be obtained by calling (804) 355-2717.

Anonymous said...

THEATRE BENEFIT TO HONOR ROBERT WATKINS AND DEVEAUX RIDDICK
Love Scenes to be Presented at the Bolling-Haxall House, Feb. 26


25 years ago Robert Watkins and deVeaux Riddick founded the Theatre at the Bolling Haxall House to showcase the Comedy of Manners. Watkins directed and Riddick designed scenery for and frequently performed in 37 productions. They will be honored for founding the Theatre at the Bolling Haxall House and their contributions to Richmond theatre with an evening of staged readings of love scenes followed by a reception on Feb. 26 at the Bolling Haxall House, 211 E. Franklin St. Doors open at 6:30 and curtain is at 7 pm. Tickets are $20. Reservations are recommended and may be obtained by calling (804) 355-2717.