Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fools, non-foolish variety

As a mini-followup to my last post, I like how Henley Street is promoting “A Servant for Two Masters.” They started early, alerting folks to the show back in December, and they have focused on Richard Koch in the starring role. I don’t know this as a fact, but I assume this approach worked well for their last season starter, “Richard III,” and I hope they find similar success with this production. I expect I’m going to love Mr. Koch in the role, particularly since memories of him making out with my wife on stage every weekend have nearly faded.

For those who may not have heard, there’s a new company in town, Cadence Theatre Company, and they’ll be offering their first production, “Fool for Love,” at the Firehouse starting tomorrow night. Beyond her participation in the founding of the Firehouse, Cadence artistic director Anna Senechal Johnson also worked with the Company of Fools folks out in Idaho for many years. If I’m remembering correctly, the last person to return to Richmond after an extended stint in Idaho was Rusty Wilson and he’s certainly done well for himself. Ms. Johnson has landed a top-notch group of actors for “FfL” so I think expectations are pretty high for this production.

Speaking of landing actors, the producers of one of my minor obsessions (“Glee”) recently announced that they’ll be casting folks for the show as it starts up in April via an open casting call / reality show. I can imagine many talented local teens having a decent shot at this or who could at least give it a try. I don’t think we’ve had a Richmond resident on a prominent reality show since Elliot Yamin and look how well that turned out.

2 comments:

Thespis' Little Helper said...

Thanks for the mention, Dave! Such an incredible group of artists! And what a play!

That's a lot of !!!!!'s!

Shannon McCallister said...

Henley Street had created a very strong audience developement campaign in regards to "A Servant of Two Masters". The fact that this is apparent shows that our strategies were sucessful and that we are on the right track! We had to increase our seating for opening night, and I hope the response continues to be as strong for the entire run. This show certainly merits such a great reception.