Thursday, January 07, 2010

Happy New Blog

Sometimes the New Year brings new awareness. It has for me on a few levels, but one obvious one is becoming aware of many other blogs out there that are authored by folks involved in the Richmond theater world. I just stumbled across one set up by Stefani Zabner, a nominee for an RTCC award for her work in the Mill’s “Of Mice and Men” last season. Best of luck in your health-related revamping, Ms. Zabner.

Also, it’s a good time to mention the prodigious blog output by Ms. Caroline Sumner, a theater student at VCU who has worked on several productions in the area and was recently engaged to Adam Mincks, one of the winners of the RTCC Best Ensemble award last season. She has blogged about Shakespeare and her personal desires in the past, but has recently set up a chronicle specifically related to her engagement. While you’re checking those out, you might also weigh in with an opinion in response to her recent assertions about standing ovations.

I also have been keeping an eye on the First Fridays blog, as well. It seems to cover more of the visual arts scene but theater has been involved in First Fridays as well so something of interest may pop up there too. I know there are other blogs out there, some more active than others (going to get back in the saddle, Mr. Cole?) If anyone brings them to my attention, I’d be happy to link to them on this site. I can’t promise any big spike in traffic but every little bit helps, right?

1 comment:

Thespis' Little Helper said...

My favorite moment of not giving a standing ovation:

Revival of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? starring Kathleen Turner, Bill Irwin, Mireille Enos (AMAZING!!! Brilliant actor), and David Harbour.

I was in the "2nd row" which on the right side of the theatre was really the first row, in a perfect spot for when Nick was sitting in the DL chair, had a great view of a helluva lot of "acting".

With the exception of Honey (Mireille Enos) I thought it was terrible all around. Curtain call, standing ovation ensues, except for me, and I could swear that the guy playing Nick (Harbour) gave me a dirty look for not standing.

Then the entire cast got individual Tony nominations and Bill Irwin won his. So, what the heck do I know!