Monday, November 13, 2006

Forever Plaid

My biggest fear with this revival of “Forever Plaid” was that I wouldn’t be able to get the performances of the previous cast out of my head. And so, in my mind, the biggest success of this latest production is the ability of each of the lead actors to overcome those memories. Sure, there were a couple of times that I thought back fondly to Larry Cook’s singular Smudge, particularly in the “stage patter” scene with the 45s. And Brian Vaughn has a cuddly vibe about him that was always very endearing. But that is to take nothing away from Andy Nagraj and Brett Ambler who are both excellent. Particularly where it counts – vocally – this cast is just as robust as any “Plaid” you may have seen in the past (the woman sitting two seats away from me had seen it 6 times previously!) Even the occasional nostalgic pang for the “Plaids” of the past could keep me from appreciating the considerable talents of the current crew. Good work, gentlemen!

Clearly, Ms. Haubenstock at the T-D was fond of your performances as well. Here’s hoping for full houses for you all through the holidays!

No comments: