Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Grease is apparently the word

So what’s up with the popularity of “Grease” all of a sudden? First, there’s the recently closed show out at the Steward School and the American Idol also-rans singing a regrettable version of “You’re the One that I Want.” Then today I see in USA Today that there’s going to be a reality show centered on the casting of a new Broadway revival of the show.

The reality show craze seems to be perculating right along so this is probably a genius idea for drawing some of that luster (such as it is) over into the Broadway arena. I could be snarky about it but, given that I have a weakness for at least one reality show (‘Survivor’ – what can I say?), I’ll just wish for the best. Anything that draws attention to the stage can’t be a bad thing. Or at least, not TOO bad a thing…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grease is a fairly boring, and overdone show. It's been revived 40 million times. There was a revival of Grease on Broadway/national tour not less than 10 years ago - do we really need to bring it back again? I think the whole reality show thing is silly, for a Broadway show, no less. But God bless all that come out to try for it. May they do well.

oneeyeddog said...

I pretty much hate Grease, and I'm not a fan of reality TV. However, geek that I am, I'll probably watch it. It will be fascinating to see how many 30/40-somethings will be auditioning for those high schooler parts.