Friday, September 07, 2007

A Simple Piece of Cloth

I was wandering around University of Richmond on Wednesday and saw a flier about a free staged reading happening there. I wouldn't have given it a second look except that it has some really good people doing it, including Jodi Strickler Smith and Darryl Clark Phillips. Below are some details -- check it out if you want free access to new, interesting theater! I think the best shot for tickets would be to email Ms. Mullin or you could try to navigate the U of R phone system which I admit I am woefully ignorant of. And I PROMISE I'll be writing about Urinetown as soon as I can -- life just keeps getting in the way of good blogging...

A Simple Piece of Cloth by Jeffrey D. J. Kallenberg, tells the story of a family coping with cultural assimilation and the death of the patriarch in a comic but truthful manner. The story deals with the cultural, moral, and philosophical issues surrounding a family feud over the rightful heir to the recently deceased patriarch’s "prayer shawl from the old country."

Mr. Kallenberg teaches the James Joyce Seminar at Columbia University and runs his own business in Shreveport, Louisiana. He has done writing and "script doctoring" for various television and film production companies and is well-known throughout the New York City professional theatre community.

Each open-reading will be followed by a discussion with the cast and author. Friday, September 7 and Saturday, September 8 at 7:30PM.

From: Debbie Mullin Cost: Free but tickets required - call 8980

No comments: