Friday, August 24, 2007

d. l. is advertising (and more)

I had the very enjoyable occasion to speak to Mr. d. l. Hopkins the other day for an upcoming story in Style – one that I think (hope) will incite some debate. Among other things, I found out that both Mr. Hopkins and I have sons 7 and 3 years old. It’s always cool – and sometimes funny – to find out the things that people have in common. One of my favorite stories is when Harry Hamlin accidentally called our house in confusion after my wife interviewed him for a story. What I learned: some celebrities can’t figure out their cell phones either.

When I Googled d. l. in preparation for talking to him, I came across this very funny YouTube video called Behind the Ads, stirring up memories of the Slice Man days. It’s definitely worth a look.

I was also perusing an interview with Corbin Bleu and came across this little exchange:

Do you have a role model?
I really, really respect Jamie Foxx... He's a beautiful singer, he plays the piano wonderfully, he's an incredible actor. He's just a very well-rounded person. I very much admire that.

Sounds like you want your career to follow in his footsteps. How do you plan to do that?
Playing a few roles, and then go do another album, and then go work on Broadway! [Laughs] I love change. I love trying new things.

Bleu does Broadway! That’ll certainly get hordes of teenage girls (more of them) interested in theater!

And what did YOU think of High School Musical 2? (Don’t pretend you didn’t watch!) Though I thought much of it was hackneyed and some of it unintentionally hilarious (where were the backup singers hiding during Troy’s “Bet on It” romp across the golf course?), I was glad about one thing: they made Ryan the hero. Now for HSM 3 they just need to find a way to give Monique Coleman more to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to read about what Mr. D.L. is up to. He is amazing to work with and mesmerizing to watch on stage.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious video! I’m looking forward to reading your interview with D.L.