Tuesday, February 01, 2011

An interim post

I’ve been trying to keep to a schedule of Mon-Wed-Fri blog posts but had to break that pattern today. I just found out yesterday that my review of “The Fiddler’s House” won’t be appearing in print but Style has posted it online. You can check it out here.

I’m not sure what else to say about this production. I went in really wanting to like it. I’ve heard great things about CAT’s productions over the past year or two. But the basic plotline of “Fiddler’s” was not only derivative of “Driving Miss Daisy,” which I highlight in my review, but of a half-dozen sitcom scenarios dating back at least as far as “All in the Family.” And the journey the characters take involves huge cultural and interpersonal shifts and the cast, as stalwart as they were, did not convince me that those shifts had taken place.

I remained intrigued by CAT’s “all Richmond premieres” season and will look forward to their next show – “Almost Maine” directed by Amy Berlin – in March. It’s a show that sounds like a real actors’ challenge, based on what I’ve heard, and should dovetail nicely with the sense of spring fever that we’ll hopefully be enjoying by that time.

No comments: