Friday, January 28, 2011

Tennessee and Tory

Mr. Porter on WCVE has weighed in on CAT's "The Fiddler's House." You can read his thoughts on his blog.

I’ve been reading a little bit lately about Tennessee Williams and the fact that 2011 marks 100 years since his birth. As such, centennial festivals in Williams’ honor have been scheduled in various cities throughout the country. But, as far as I know, no Richmond area theater is planning on anything Williams-related in the coming year.

Maybe that’ll change when 2011-12 seasons are announced this spring. Or maybe theater companies here are tired of rolling out the old faves, “Streetcar” or “Glass Managerie” or “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.” But there are other interesting options. Take “The Milk Train Doesn’t Stop Here Anymore,” currently playing in New York. Or even more challenging, wouldn’t it be cool if some company put on “Green Eyes,” the little-known one-act that just closed. The New York production was staged in a hotel room and could only be watched by 14 people at a time. I’m thinking a scrappy company like Night Light Collective could call the folks over at the Jefferson and work something out. Wouldn’t that be fun?

And in my random internet surfing, I also came across this item about a Tori Amos musical in development. I’ve always had somewhat mixed emotions about Amos. What do you think – would a Tori musical be a delight or a disaster?

2 comments:

Thespis' Little Helper said...

I think there might be a little something in the works for a theatre doing a Williams' piece.

I was HUGELY into his work in college and then have found myself incredibly wrapped up in more contemporary work, but keep meaning to go back to his work in particular and explore what was going on and the walls he broke down that so fascinate me as I read current playwrights breaking down theatrical walls these days.

Maybe that spurns me on.

Tom in Menagerie is still a dream role...although after seeing Jonathan Spivey do it the University of Richmond a few years ago, it gives me pause. He was brilliant.

And Christian Slater in the Broadway revival was quite super (weird, I know).

John Knapp said...

In fact, we have been talking with Firehouse about just that: A mini Williams festival, with both RTP and Firehouse doing a piece in the fall (Firehouse has already annnounced Cat on a Hot Tin Roof). We at RTP have also been discussing be doing a reading of a later (and very gay) piece of Williams and maybe showing one of the more obscure Williams films.