Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Fully Committed nearly fully committed

Are you doing anything this Saturday afternoon? If you haven't seen "Fully Committed" out at the Tavern, that's looking like your last chance to do so. As I'm writing this, there are a handful of seats left for the 2pm show but there may not be by the time you read this.

I saw FC last Thurs with the whole family and we all left the show thoroughly star-struck. This feeling only increased during our brief interaction with Scotty after the show, during which he was totally interactive with my kids in a charitable, empathetic way that is unusual for most adults (at least in my experience). It took me back to an interview I did with the stars of “Ella and her Fella Frank” ten years ago where I had my girls with me, 4 and 6 years old at the time. Scott was engaging and friendly back then in much the same way.

As I get older, I am more surprised by the things that don’t change than by the ones that do. I think part of the cynicism of advanced age grows out of continually being disappointed about reality not living up to memory. Among the few things that combat that process are those things that remain true. It sure appears to me that, while his talent and interests have obviously grown over the past decade, Scott’s core attributes – funny, generous, smart – have not changed. It’s enough to give an old man hope.

1 comment:

Anj said...

Still some seats a 2:00 Sunday. Happy Birthday and Bon Voyage for Scotty. Weenie roast to follow, I'll be slinging dogs and flipping burgers. See you there!