Monday, March 23, 2009

Odds and (Week)Ends

Frequent poster “eraserhead” sent me a link to an advice column posting that might be of interest to some thespians out there. I know that about 15-20 years ago, I was in the same boat, a theater widower like many others out there. I like the advice given but I would add the suggestion: pick up a hobby or start making new friends. If you’ve got time to kill and no one to kill it with, get busy. (Clearly, I’ll never be an advice columnist.)

USA Today has a couple of raves in today’s edition, one on Gods of Carnage and one on Blithe Spirit. Curious that Christine Ebersole comes in for the only knocks.

I went to ComedySportz on Friday and had a wonderfully entertaining time. More details in a day or two but in the meantime, don’t hesitate in making reservations for their few upcoming shows. The place was packed and I expect will continue to be until the final whistle sounds.

2 comments:

Jacquie O. said...

I love that column. Thanks Eraserhead! I think I have a clearer understanding of why my cats are so pissed at me when I walk in the door at 11pm!

Thespis' Little Helper said...

Christine Ebersole seems to have found a role that could fit like a glove (and likely abandoned it too soon). My first exposure to her was in the Broadway revival of Steel Magnolias, well into previews, and she (along with 3 other cast members, it should be noted) stumbled over or paraphrased multiple lines. What did I just pay for this ticket? Why are you up there in front of hundreds of people and haven't done your job? I don't understand.

So it's a bit hard for me to like her (although her work in that show that she's now synonymous with was pretty stellar).

But at least it seems that she's learned her lines this time!