Monday, December 10, 2007

This week

Don’t mean to distract from the intriguing venue / tech / “Phantom” discussion going on, but just wanted to point out a couple of Barksdale things going on this week (and no, I don’t get a kick-back from them):

-- The Holiday Cabaret is going on tonight and tomorrow night at 7:30.

-- Tomorrow’s “Coffee and Conversation” is "Behind the Scenes of Moonlight and Magnolias." Now, since M&M is a behind the scenes look at “Gone with the Wind” is the C&C event like Behind the Scenes Squared? Or maybe Behind the Scenes Once-Removed?

-- I’ll also note in passing that February’s C&C session is a panel dubbed “Critically Speaking” where you will be able to “Go inside the minds of some of Richmond’s most intriguing theatre critics.” I have apparently not been deemed intriguing enough to participate – how about you Mary? – but I was thinking that I should plan to go and write a critique of it. And then I was wondering, would that make me a critic once-removed? Or would I be some kind of meta-critic? And then I thought I should stop thinking arcane thoughts about the future and get back to work…

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,
No one from Barksdale has asked me to be on the panel either. Well, I think you and I should both go and I will write a critique of you critiquing the event and we can really shake things up! What do you think we have to get noticed by those Barksdale people? It is rough thinking that we don't count and since we represent what? 30% of the theatre critics in Richmond between the two of us that is pretty sad.
I am reminded of a blog you wrote in response to someone saying something like actors kissing up to the critics- well I'm still waiting on that one too. I mean it is the holiday season and all - where is all that kissing up, the party invitations the piles of cards and gifts? Shoot, I did better as High School teacher when the parents would give me flashing Christmas tree earrings and cool stuff like that.
Oh well. Carry on Dave. I still admire you and your wonderful way with words. Look on the bright side, the at home birth people wanted you.

Adoringly,
Mary

Dave T said...

...and if I write a play about your critique of my critique and it gets produced and one of the members of the original panel reviews it, then we'll have gone full circle!

Sorry about the stark and lonely truth regarding the kissing up. I actually married an actress thinking maybe that would change things, but alas, still no Christmas tree earrings for me either... I did get a very nice bottle of wine from a lovely actress the other night. Maybe you just need to invite more of them over for dinner, Mary.

And I admire your creativity and spunk, Ms. B., and would have liked to see the pole dancing but I guess I'll have to wait for the video for that. You've also transformed this "annoying love fest" of a blog into a real conversation -- a million thanks for that!

Deferentially,
Dave

Dave T said...

PS: I'm a little embarrassed to report that I got an invite to participate in the critics panel via email last night and (judging by the email addresses on the invite, so did Mary).

Based on that quick turnaround, I think my post today will focus on a new Volvo station wagon and world peace. Maybe blogging really is magic!

Andrew Hamm said...

So the meta-meta-meta-criticism won't be necessary after all. Whew! I'm not sure Richmond could bear the weight of that kind of pretention!

Dave T said...

Mr. Hamm,
I think you underestimate the amount of pretension Richmond can handle...

Anonymous said...

An ounce of pretention is worth a pound of manure.

Andrew Hamm said...

Well, thus far Richmond hasn't shattered under the weight of my considerable pretension, and I write TWO freaking blogs now. So I think the town can handle planety, thanks, Dave.

Andrew Hamm said...

"Planety." It's a new verb having to do with the nature of planets. Ergo, according to my previous post, Richmond can handle as much pretension as a planet.

Typo, indeed...