Thursday, September 20, 2012

It’s a New Dawn, It’s a New Day

Well damn, there is just too much to talk about for me to really do anything justice. It’s another one of those weeks where I wish I was a full-time journalist (there’s still some of those out there, right?) so I could write it all up. Instead, I’m going to have to do bullet points:

**  There are just a few more hours left in the Amazing Raise. If you support theater anyway, do it now and you could add some nice little bonuses to your favorite company’s bottom line.

** I saw “Always…Patsy Cline” before it closed and wanted to wax poetic about Debra Wagoner’s voice and Terrie Moore’s comic chops. But now that it’s closed, I guess there’s no point in trying to get people out to see it. It was a fun show and a good time.

** I saw “The Hound of the Baskervilles” this past weekend and had a fine time. My review should be in next week’s Style and I’ll supplement that with more thoughts when the review is out.

** Speaking of Style, this week’s fall arts issue has a quick review of all of the pro theaters that have published a season, including Sycamore Rouge that (good news) will be moving to a new venue and AART (uncertain news) which has a slate but no dates.

** I just saw that the cast from “The Marvelous Wondrettes” will be at this month’s GLAP, even more reason than usual to try get out and take part in that monthly party.

** Tonight is the beginning of a pretty overwhelming weekend of openings, one particularly frustrating for a critic. I’d love to see all of the shows opening (“Regrets Only” at RTP, “A Bright New Boise” at Firehouse, and “King John” by Richmond Shakespeare at St. Catherine’s) but have to pick one. After VA Rep’s raises the curtain on their latest next weekend (“Night Blooms” previewed in the T-D and “Young Thomas Jefferson”) things calm down for a couple weeks and maybe I can catch up.

** Fall means the new TV season has started as well. I’ve kept my distance from the ridiculous proliferation of talent & singing shows but I did catch a whiff of the buzz that came from “X Factor”’s new phenom, Carly Rose Sonenclar. She does indeed have an amazing voice (check out the video linked to from this article) but it’s worth noting that she was hardly an unknown quantity. At the ripe old age of 13, she’s already appeared on Broadway a couple of times, even getting a specific mention in the NYTimes for her work in “Wonderland.” Just another endorsement of theater as a breeding ground for stars…

I’m traveling this weekend so may have a chance to do some more writing / blogging. Consider this either a promise or a threat…

No comments: