Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Jackman as Valjean…and other stuff

Living without power for a week seems to have erased my memory banks and I can’t for the life of me remember if I knew that Hugh Jackman was cast as Jean Valjean for the latest screen adaptation of “Les Mis.” But I was enlightened with that news at the same time reading that Anne Hathaway would be Fantine. I really don’t know what to make of this. I like high-profile stars that will draw audiences to this work – I’m one of those people that actually thought the screen adaptations of musicals like “Chicago” and “Dreamgirls” served the material pretty darn well. But Wolverine as Valjean? Hmmm… Catwoman as Fantine? The mind reels a bit at these thoughts…

One thing I don’t have any reservations about, though, is the opening of the fall theater season with “Lend Me a Tenor” this weekend. I’m really looking forward to the openings this month – it’s a crazy mix of fun and challenging work. I walk by the “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” poster at the Firehouse a few times a week and get a little giddy just at the thought.

Also, keep an eye out for the week’s issue of Style. It should be packed to overflowing with theater-related stuff. Enjoy and let me know what you think of it all (positive or negative – all perspectives accepted…)

No comments: