Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Out of town adventures

I haven’t really known what to post today, my mind still reeling a bit from the momentous news of last night. I’m also hanging out on the left coast this week so am fairly discombobulated thanks to that. After things settle a bit in my head, I’ll be able to regroup and post something more interesting. I have lots to talk about; Saturday I saw a weird and wonderful piece of work at The Studio Theatre in Washington called “The Walworth Farce” and on Tuesday, I’ll see “God of Carnage” with the original Broadway cast out here in L.A.

In the meantime, Ms. Lewis’s review of “Honk!” came out on Sunday and looks like another winner for Theatre IV. The Broadway in Richmond series for 2011-12 was announced and honestly, I'm not too impressed (I saw "South Pacific" on Broadway and, while wonderful, I don't think I need to see it again. Perhaps I'll take the opportunity to finally see Blue Man Group...) Also, the Tony nominations will be announced in about 7 hours as I write this. Since they’ll more than likely be out by the time you read this, who do you think is likely to collect a trophy? Were you shocked or disappointed by any of the noms?

UPDATE: The nominees are...

1 comment:

joepabst said...

Re: Ms. Lewis' review of "Honk!"...

It's jarring to me that she neglected to mention Robin Arthur in the review at all. (I also was not mentioned, but I attribute that to good manners -- "If you can't say something nice...")

Robin's work on this show is amazing! She is the reason the show works.

Anyone who has worked with children can tell you what a challenge that can be, to keep them engaged and pull meaningful performances from them. She handles the 10-kid cast with grace and professionalism. The kids adore her, and it shows in their performance.

Robin keeps the action moving briskly, sometimes faster than us older folks can keep up! She's choreographed amazing musical numbers -- one of them on skates, for crying out loud! She has injected the show with loads of heart, and infused it with humor that is straight from her own passion for Warner Bros. cartoons! The result is a show that has both young and old (and everyone in between) laughing, crying, cheering and applauding.

Kudos and a heartfelt "HONK!!" to Robin for her incredible work. It has been a joy and an honor to be part of this wonderful production!