Monday, January 19, 2009

King

Update: Here's a link to Ms. Haubenstock's review of "Cuckoo's Nest."

I came into work this morning and was quickly inundated with problems and questions that I am still in process of clearing out. If I weren’t so thankful to have a job, I’d be annoyed by this. My thoughts and prayers go out to those folks at Circuit City, GenWorth, MeadWestVaco, etc. who are trying to figure out how they are going to make ends meet in the months ahead.

In a dark bit of irony I’m trying not to dwell on, I accompanied a couple of my critical compatriots to see “Who Killed the King?” on Saturday. When I dig out from under, I’ll have some more comments about that. Over the past few days, I’ve heard a fair amount of interest in the Acts of Faith festival in some unexpected quarters, which bodes well for that event. For those who want to dig deeper into the subject, there’s a scholarly journal devoted exclusively to Religion and Theater. Pretty interesting stuff.

I’m awaiting the first published review of Henley Street’s “Cuckoo’s Nest” with eager anticipation. In the meantime, the conversation continues in response to my Comment-ary post below, which has now dropped off the main page here. Many different perspectives – let your voice be heard if you haven’t weighed in.

For those who have the day off, enjoy the holiday, and for those heading north tomorrow, I’ll be with you in spirit!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan Haubenstock's review of 'Cuckoo's Nest' is up on the RT-D website.

Anonymous said...

You only get one bite of the apple with a critic and, unfortunately, Henley had a bad night with Ms. Haubenstock present. Despite the sound problems that flummoxed the production, she still found much that was noteworthy.

Following the Friday problems, the cast and crew of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest gave an inspired performance on Saturday night.

Too bad theatre isn't like sports, where redemption in the papers is possible the next time a team takes the field after a loss.

Anonymous said...

And to add to that, Mary (Style) and John (WCVE) were both in attendance the night that all of the sound issues happened. Richmond.com was the only reviewer to attend a different performance. The timing was quite unfortunate that 3 of the 4 reviewers were all three in attendance during the only run that we have had those difficulties.

I agree that much of what Susan wrote is true about the particular night that she saw, but not about the show when performed at its prime, which it has been every other night.

~Brad Tuggle

Anonymous said...

I saw and enjoyed this production on a night other than the night Ms. Haubenstock attended, and I also took major issues with the sound design - and sound system - without whatever flubs may have happened on the particular evening that critics attended.

That said, sound issues weren't enough to stop me from engaging in the show and I'm very glad to have seen it.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to know if the sound was required by the text or a choice for this show. I also thought the sound was not wonderful. I came to a show when reviewers were not there.

Anonymous said...

***Spoiler Alert****

Before I address any questions, let me assure everyone, that between the first week of the run, and the second week every sound cue was completely remastered, and sounds much better. Still not great due to the faulty speakers, but much much better.

The voiceovers are suggested by the text, and in my opinion are necessary. The Chief voice over are intended to be internal monologues, so having it come out of his mouth would've had an whole different effect. Also we wanted to save when the Chief first speaks, as the first time that you hear the actors voice come out of his mouth.

I wish everyone could listen to the cues on a pair of headphones, like I have had a chance to do, and could hear the intricacies that get lost.

Maybe we got over ambitious for the technology we had to work with, but shoot for the stars right?

Anonymous said...

Technical issues on this show continue. Friday night I attended, and the show was 15 minutes late in starting for some sound problems! I am amazed no one walked out! One only wonders what the cast and crew think...
In response to Mr. Tuggle: fine show, but when you shoot for the stars and fail, the ride back to ground can be less than pleasant.

Anonymous said...

Just a quote for the last anonymous, that I like to live by. "Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. "
Dr. David M. Burns