Friday, July 20, 2012

Inconceivable


I’ve been lucky enough to enjoy two wonderful entertainment experiences this week: the (un)staged reading of “The Princess Bride” at Sycamore Rouge on Wednesday and a second viewing of “Spring Awakening” on Thursday. This morning, I’m sickened and saddened and just stunned in the aftermath of the Aurora shooting. I try to imagine what it would have been like if a gunman had invaded either of my previous nights’ experiences. But I don’t think there is any way to imagine the terror and confusion unless you were there.

Smarter and more eloquent people than me will pen insightful or stirring responses to this tragedy. Personally, I’m beyond any kind of comprehension right now. I remember my sense of thrill and anticipation at a midnight showing of the last “Harry Potter” movie last year. The thought of that excitement being turned completely on its head is heartbreaking and just despicable.

I’d like to talk about the Princess Bride reading and renew my thoughts on Spring Awakening sometime. But for now, I think some quiet mourning is all I can muster. Be safe everyone.

No comments: